This article is written considering Indian students.
Who can get benefited from Embedded Jobs ?
Diploma , B.Sc, M.Sc and Engineering graduates can get job in Embedded field.
Engineering students with excellent academic record can get job in MNCs if they work proactively during engineering itself. If academic performance is not very good , One can have good Embedded system career in small and design houses. In reality , I noticed majority of Embedded system aspirants from average academic background because they don’t get option for IT. Still they get benefited in long term.
I hate programming , Where can I get the core job ?
Embedded system is the answer. In reality , one can start Embedded software from few lines to full software stack . This is one of the reason I call it smart programming. I adopted full Embedded system career after working at Desktop (MAC OS Application) software development. One can try firmware , hardware diagnostic s/w , device drivers , complex USB software stack , RTOS , TCP/IP based stack etc . IoT has added further flexibility in this domain.
Tips for getting a better Embedded job
- Excellent C
- Some exposure to C++ and Python
- Exposure to real hardware – Not just simulator. Simulator is good to understand Embedded C but not for getting real experience. If you have to select between course and hardware purchase, go for hardware purchase.
- Understanding of both digital and analog electronics
- Arduino is good for Getting started but one must go beyond it
- Exposure to linux working environment
- Attitude for learning – Select any internship/job for learning purpose and do it with full dedication.
- One must understand that Embedded is continuous learning procedure. Both theory and practical are important for a good career path.
- Generated code from Arduino IDE and STM32Cube IDE are good to enable a system. but one must learn Embedded C from scratch to do such task. Otherwise it is like using calculator in Math class.
Is Indian education system not suitable for Electronics students ?
There is nothing wrong in Education system. I got good foundation from subjects I studied during 1987-91. Indian education system is very much aligned for long term career. This is the reason India is leading in software development. If you disagree, Provide your input in comment.
Another article on same topic for students studying in Engineering.
FREE entry to IoT Live class :
Here is an example of PDA(Product Development Assignment) from Embedkari Developer kit program . You can also participate here and can win Free entry to IoT live class.
IoT class will cover Introduction to IoT and OSI layers . Entry fees is kept at just Rs 100.
Select any ARM based device for smart battery charging project and submit your response in the form below
About Author – Sanjay Kumar Adhikari
•More than 28 years intensive IT experience in designing, developing and supporting various embedded designs in Telecom access networks.
*Implementation of embedded technical support, Hiring & Mentoring of embedded engineers.
•Over 10 yrs experience in handling an embedded-system support team as a Team Lead.
•Expertise in Design and Development of Linux Device drivers and Bare Board Device Drivers for various telecom/networking devices. Technical knowledge of interfaces like DDR, PCIe, SerDes, Ethernet, I2C etc
•Hands-on experience in Board Support Packages (BSPs) for PowerPC, ARM SoCs from Freescale.
•Enabled Trans-national(Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Juniper etc ) and Indian (TATA, C-DOT, DRDO) clients to implement Freescale Networking SOCs.
•Supported all Major Networking (Cisco, Juniper, Aricent) clients in hardware and software troubleshooting on custom hardware. Help customers in porting Freescale device drivers to customer specific Operating Systems such as IOS , JUNOS, FreeBSD etc.
•Provided training to design engineers in using Freescale’s CodeWarrior and Linux BSP.
•Conducted training and demonstration of Freescale technologies in various public events such as Freescale Technology Forum, Design with Freescale etc. It includes 11 national level and five International level seminars